Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Keeping the Rhythm

Not much new on the eating front. I keep doing what I am supposed to do according to Dr. Fuhrman's six week plan. It is definitely working. I am eating two meals a day right now and am feeling quite satisfied. I am alert and focused and mentally clear--much more than when I am eating SAD--the Standard American Diet. I have taken enough weight off for it to be quite noticeable to me, but not necessarily to other people. I am moving easier. My skin is softer. I have lost the bloat. Even my hair is more cooperative. My skin tone is changing to a healthier look. All this is good.

While I have been at this point before, I don't think I have ever been at this point eating so purely clean. I have not been having salt in processed foods (hummus, refried beans--my two temptations). I have been strictly ETL. And, in the interest of weight loss and gaining health more quickly, I have not been having starchy vegetables or grains.

Learning to eat ETL is a very different from eating SAD. Dr. Fuhrman says that you should eat only when hungry. At first, this is a frightening prospect. However, it isn't as scary as it seems. And, I know for myself this is true. One time, I overate on ETL foods and I ended up throwing everything up. So, with that memory from 2 years ago fresh in my mind, I listen to my body more carefully.

Tonight, I thought I should eat because I haven't had much. But, when I tried to eat, my gag reflex kicked in and the food did not taste good (the same meal that tasted great last night). I quit eating that dish (beans, broccoli, onions and mushrooms--again, this tasted great last night) without finishing what I thought I would eat. Just to make sure I didn't run into trouble tonight, I had two bites of beans and again, started gagging. I stopped. I had about 4 raspberries and the walnuts that I planned to have. I ended up with a very small meal and feel just fine. Calorically, I know the meal was very low. But, I know that I am doing well nutritionally because I am not hungry and seem to be through the toxic hunger.

So, the bottom line is that I have been here before but let it go for SAD food. This time, I feel more tenacious. I feel like I am matter-of-factly accepting this way of life in a way that I didn't do--even when I successfully was 30 pounds lighter following the same plan. But, even then, I still ate processed refried beans (low sodium). I also went off plan 1-2 times a week. This time, I know the importance of staying fully on plan for the six weeks at least. In reality, I will probably need to be fully on board most of the time. Little concessions turn into big problems for me. At least, that is what my past tells me.

No comments:

Post a Comment